Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Dr. Gill Loves Eyes AND Oakland

A conversation with Doctor Tanya Gill of Oakland Vision Center

In 2007, when she decided to take over the Oakland Vision Center practice that has been open since the 1970s, some questioned her decision.  “My parents kept asking me if I was sure,” Dr. Gill explains.  But she couldn’t have been surer.  “I am very invested in this city! I own this business in Oakland, I own a home in Oakland and my husband also works in Oakland.  And, when I hire my employees, well… let’s just say you get bonus points if you live here.”

Dr. Gill’s investment in Oakland has paid off.  Recently, Invision Magazine awarded Oakland Vision Center the title of “Top Independent Eyecare Business in the U.S.”  

“It’s a huge deal, I still can’t believe I won!” she said.

In addition to complete medical eyecare services, the Oakland Vision Center offers top independent frame lines and even a line of natural eyecare products, We Love Eyes, that Dr. Gill launched in June and is distributing nationally via other optometrists.   

“We Love Eyes came by accident,” explained Dr. Gill. “We were looking for a hashtag for our social media campaign and almost gave up – then staff said ‘Well you love eyes’… and that was it!  All that time, it was staring us in the face. We are selling a lifestyle brand. We love eyes- not just eyecare--its about taking care of people, including natural non-toxic products for the eyes.” 

Part of Dr. Gill’s social media campaign is ‘shop local’ and she thinks it’s important to spread that message.  “If others spread that message, it would go a long way,” she said.

Dr. Gill not only encourages shopping local, but she also exemplifies local Oakland pride.  On Fridays, staff is allowed to wear graphic t-shirts, so long as they demonstrate Oakland pride. “That is when I wear my shirts from Oaklandish!  And now we even have patients showing up in their Oakland gear on Fridays.  It’s really fun!”

Oakland Vision Center/Dr. Gill Quick Facts:






No comments:

Post a Comment